We spend a great deal of time building and creating the perfect home with possessions that provide the comfort and enjoyment of our family. But all of that can quickly disappear in the event of a disaster such as a burglary, a house fire, storm damage, or a flood. We at Wells Insurance, hope you never have to deal with the heartache of a claim but would like to offer some time and hassle saving tips in case you do.
In the event of a major disaster your insurance claims adjuster will need you to provide a list of the items in your home, when you bought it, and how much it costs. Making a home inventory list now will save you from the painstaking hours of trying to remember all your possessions and possibly forget anything valuable under the pressure of the situation.
Making a home inventory list is easier than you think.
1. Taking pictures of all the rooms from different angles will help you remember what was there and provide proof of possession.
2. Make a list of the name of the items, dates purchased, and any serial numbers. There are websites available with spreadsheets for your convenience.
3. Be sure and include the items in closets, drawers, and in the garage because that is where a lot of our valuables are stored.
4. Give copies of everything to your insurance agent. We can help you determine if you need a special rider for some of your most valuable items.
5. Be sure and update your list every year.
You will be able to rest easy knowing having a list of your home’s belongings will make any disaster a little less of a nightmare.